Ieper (Ypres) Belgium - Langemark German Cemetery Pillboxes
The carpark and entrance can be seen on the western side of the cemetery. After leaving the carpark, the visitor goes through the grey barn-like building shown. This building has a number of audio and video displays in different languages explaining the historical significance of the area.
The preserved German pillboxes in the cemetery were the location for the first use of chemical warfare in WW1. The Germans released chlorine gas on unsuspecting French soldiers here in 1915.